LIFE FRONT is a project aiming at removing barriers posed by standards for flammable refrigerants in refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump (RACHP) applications. This will be achieved with a mix of capacity-building and awareness raising, improving system design, data collection, analysis and transfer into real-life applications and transfer into on-going standardisation processes.
LIFE FRONT combines existing and new evidence for a safe and proportionate use of flammable refrigerants. The project aims to use theoretical analysis into applied research and apply risk mitigation mechanisms to real-life RACHP equipment. Outcomes of these processes will influence on-going standardisation processes at European and international leves, and will remove knowledge barriers among major stakeholder groups.
ECOS expertise is used, among other things, to prepare draft requirements for European standards on flammable refrigerants. We participate in European and international standardisation meetings related to refrigerants, namely the relevant meetings of CEN/TC 182 and ISO/TC 86. The project has already led to the establishment of a ‘Standards Action Group’ – a voluntary body aiming to ensure knowledge transfer on the development of refrigerant standards among interested participants.
The project is funded by LIFE, the EU’s financial instrument supporting environmental, nature conservation and climate action projects and ECOS will work together with project partners Shecco, HEAT, AHT, ait-deutschland GmbH and NIBE AB.
In summary, LIFE FRONT project objectives are to:
- Support the EU and international standardisation process for flammable refrigerants;
- Reduce safety risks from improved system design for air-conditioning, refrigeration and heat pump applications using flammable refrigerants;
- Engage in technology capacity-building for EU equipment manufacturers;
- Remove non-technological knowledge barriers across relevant European groups;
- Improve Europe’s competitiveness for RACHP equipment using non-fluorinated refrigerant alternatives, and;
- Support an effective and timely achievement of the EU 2030 climate targets.
Learn more from the project website.